Thursday, August 31, 2017

Scope and Sequence - 1st Grade

A new school year has begun!  I've been having fun putting together our curriculum for the year (even though it began as being overwhelming). With kindergarten last year, we focused a lot on reading, math, Classical Conversations and learning through play and everyday life.  And it worked great.  This year I'm taking a bit of a different approach - being more structured and intentional in my planning.  This is mostly out of necessity with having baby #4 being only (almost) 7 weeks old, but I also want to make sure that Micah is being adequately challenged.  I also want to be very sure that he is learning everything he should be learning as a first grader.

My plan is to still use play and everyday life as part of our curriculum, but I also have the following End-of-Year Goals for Micah:

Reading – To read age-appropriate text fluently with 100% comprehension
Writing – To communicate effectively through writing
Math – To understand and apply 1st grade skills
Classical Conversations  – To actively engage in community and content
Bible – To memorize Scripture and enhance understanding of what is taught at church
Current Events – To increase interest and understanding of our world

The (tentative) outline for our year is posted as a pdf below (to open, click the arrow in the upper right-hand corner).  I'll write more in-depth on each subject later, but for now, here is a high-level overview of our curriculum:



What are you using for your curriculum this year?